Followers

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

About the 5-Week Progress Report

Dear Parents of Seniors:

Sorry, but I did not enter grades for the seniors on this initial progress report.  Grades are very volatile right now with so much credit/no credit in the very early weeks (some kids have 125%), and one simple homework assignment on the books. If a student missed five points on that assignment, the grade dove to a low C- — I think you'll agree that such a severe drop in percentage due to 5 points is somewhat excessive.

I did test the seniors on reading comprehension, but we agreed that I would NOT enter that score as a grade since we are treating that as a baseline, a measure of where the kids were at that early moment in our time together, before instruction really got underway


I am in the middle of grading a test and their writer's notebooks, and seniors are working on a second draft of their first major paper, the personal statement.  All of this will shake out soon, but for tonight, when the 1st 5-week progress report is due, any grade I sent home on the progress report would either be far too high, or too low. 

According to my boss, I only have to send home a grade at this point if someone is in danger of failing.  So, no news is good news.

As always, contact me with any concerns.  I am diligently working on getting the kids' tests and notebooks graded.  The district writing assessment took place today in all five of my classes,  so I collected 175 essays today.  Keeping up with the kids' grading is the hardest part of my job.  The kids always say, "Quit assigning so much work!",  but that's not the answer.  We write all year long, and the load is heavy.  The only saving grace is your understanding and patience.

Alexandra Fletcher
afletcher@busd.k12.ca.us

No comments:

Post a Comment